From Jeff Hammerbacher <ham...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HadoopDB and similar stuff
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:28:18 GMT
Hey Ted,
I don't want to derail this thread, but I would like to correct any
misperceptions which may exist in the community.

1) HiveQL intends to include SQL as a subset of its syntax: see the VLDB
paper for more (
http://www.slideshare.net/namit_jain/hive-demo-paper-at-vldb-2009). As it
stands today, a reasonable subset of SQL is already supported, and most
users of MySQL, Oracle, or PostgreSQL will be able to work comfortably in
Hive today.

2) There's a patch for SQL support in Pig:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIG-824.

Every database implements a different dialect of SQL (e.g. express a Top K
query in your favorite database and compare to the rest), and the Pig and
HiveQL dialects are as valid as any other. If you disagree, I'd love to hear
your perspective on why these languages are "not SQL".

Regards,
Jeff