From brien colwell <xcolw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop on Windows
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:33:35 GMT
Our cygwin/windows nodes are picky about the machines they work on. On
some they are unreliable. On some they work perfectly.

We've had two main issues with cygwin nodes.

Hadoop resolves paths in strange ways, so for example /dir is
interpreted as c:/dir not %cygwin_home%/dir. For SSH to a cygwin node,
/dir is interpreted as %cygwin_home%/dir. So our maintenance scripts
have to make a distinction between cygwin and linux to adjust for
Hadoop's path behavior.

We use ganglia to monitor the cluster and after a few build
configuration tweaks and other configuration tweaks I was able to get it
only somewhat working with cygwin.

Not to mention the general frustration of cygwin .