From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: HDFS and Linux File System
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2009 19:08:39 GMT
Hey Ted,

It's hard to avoid copying files, unless if you are able to change
your application to talk to HDFS directly (and even then, there are a
lot of "gotchas" that you wouldn't have to put up with at an
application level -- look at the Chukwa paper).

I would advise looking at Chukwa, http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/
Chukwa, and then rotating logfiles quickly.

Facebook's Scribe is supposed to do this sort of stuff too (and is
very impressive), but I'm not familiar with it.  On face value, it
appears that it might take more effort to get scribe well-integrated,
but it would have more functionality.

Brian