From David Been <daveb...@gmail.com>
Subject TaskTracker: Can not start task tracker because java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a host:port pair: local
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:49:05 GMT
Running start-all.sh it logs the above message (only for tasktracker),
i figured out it was essentially the following command, then also
tried to pick up a specific config.
Full message at the bottom

 hadoop --config ../conf  tasktracker
           // start-all.sh uses this command   What conf files does it
use when the dir is specified?
 hadoop --config ../conf/hadoop-localhost.xml tasktracker
// same thing, see mapred.job.tracker setting below
 hadoop tasktracker
                // same thing

I tried to debug this also, but am not figuring out where
mapred.job.tracker=local is set, it is in None of my config files.
some type of default that my xml file isn't overriding?

hadoop-localhost.xml has:

   <property>
     <name>mapred.job.tracker</name>
     <value>localhost:54311</value>
     <description>The host and port that the MapReduce job tracker runs
     at.  If "local", then jobs are run in-process as a single map
     and reduce task.
     </description>
   </property>

2009-09-29 07:07:08,488 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker:
Can not start task tracker because java.lang.RuntimeException: Not a
host:port pair: local
   at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:136)
   at org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:123)
   at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobTracker.getAddress(JobTracker.java:1756)
   at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.<init>(TaskTracker.java:938)
   at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker.main(TaskTracker.java:2881)