From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Running Cloudera's distribution without their support agreement - is that a bad idea?
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2009 23:28:53 GMT
Hi Erik,

We built our distribution to make it easy for you to get started using
Hadoop -- not to force you into buying a support agreement. (Though if
you're running Hadoop in a production environment, we're certainly happy to
talk to you about that later! ;)

You're just as likely to get help from this mailing list with any Hadoop
questions, bugs, etc. here whether you're running our packages, or whether
you download a "stock" package from Apache. An advantage of our distribution
is that we tend to backport bugfixes more aggressively than Apache does. So
our release of 0.18.3 contains some bugfixes that aren't present in Apache's
0.18.3 tarball. (They're all contributed to 0.19 or 0.20, or on the
development trunk, though.) And if you report a bug on our distribution,
we'll fix it and you just 'apt-get upgrade hadoop' when it's ready. Rather
than get too high on my soapbox, I'll just point you toward
www.cloudera.com/hadoop if you're interested in learning more.

If you've got specific questions or bug reports about installing our
packages, like apt-get throws a strange message at you, we also have a
separate community support forum at
http://getsatisfaction.com/clouderawhere we'll help you resolve these
issues, support contract or no. This is
in a separate forum to prevent Cloudera-specific issues from becoming a
distraction on this list.

Welcome to Hadoop :)
Cheers,
- Aaron