From Tom Wheeler <tomwh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What OS?
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 20:55:41 GMT
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Bogdan M.
Maryniuk<bogdan.maryniuk@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any pointers on this?
>
> You might start here: http://www.sean.de/Solaris/soltune.html

Check these out too:

   http://www.solarisinternals.com/wiki/index.php/Networks

   http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3681/abeir?a=view

I'd also add that you can tune a Linux system for maximum performance
at a single task too, though recent kernels have a pretty good
autotuning capability that makes this unnecessary in most cases.

I'd agree with some of the others' advice that you should probably
pick an OS for ease of administration, availability of updates,
overall cost and so on.   Either Solaris or Linux would be a good
choice.

I'd expect performance between either OS on the same hardware to be
pretty similar, but it's always hard to speculate on performance. The
best option would be for you to do a proof of concept with a couple of
machines so you can gauge what performance would be like based on the
actual jobs you'll be running.

--
Tom Wheeler
http://www.tomwheeler.com/