From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What OS?
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:06:25 GMT
Edward Capriolo wrote:
> while I completely agree with you about freebsd, that is not the point
> I was driving at. Linux is the main target platform.you chose another
> platform you have more work for yourself.if you have a problem like
> the one I had, probably no one else has the same environment as you so
> replicating your issue could be difficult.

I agree, but would note that even on linux you can encounter fun, such as
* JRockit vs Sun JVM problems
* DNS quirks due to where your cluster lives
* timezone isses (not seen this in hadoop, but I have in Axis 1, where
something didnt work when local TZ== GMT)
* OS locale issues (common in turkish locales, as "I".toLower()!="i") there)
..etc. Your cluster is different from everyone elses

Yet by encountering those problems, and tracking down and fixing them
yourself, and getting those patches back in, life will be easier for the
people who follow you.

Therefore I say: go out and explore, but expect that the further you
deviate from the "approved" solution: single locked down Linux cluster
with well-managed DNS, rDNS, NTP, running Sun java6, the more obscure
the problems that surface will be, and the more the codebase will
benefit from your experiences, provided you push your patches back,

-steve