From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HADOOP-4539 question
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:21:51 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Stas Oskin <stas.oskin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>

> > You can also use a utility like Linux-HA (aka heartbeat) to handle IP
> > address failover. It will even send gratuitous ARPs to make sure to get
> the
> > new mac address registered after a failover. Check out this blog for info
> > about a setup like this:
> >
> > http://www.cloudera.com/blog/2009/07/22/hadoop-ha-configuration/
> >
> > Hope that helps
> >

> Thanks, exactly what I looked for :).
>
>  I presume that with the coming BB node, there won't be need for DRBD, am I
> correct?

I haven't followed that development closely, but I believe that's the case.
The BackupNode will stream the FSEditLog writes as they occur while
replaying them into its own FSNamesystem. Then during a failover a real
NameNode starts on that FSNamesystem "ready to go". As for how the
BackupNode keeps track of block locations, I'm not sure - is there a
replication stream between BlockManagers too? Or is the cluster in a broken
state until all of the DNs have processed new block reports?

-Todd