From "Bill Habermaas" <b...@habermaas.us>
Subject RE: IP address or host name
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:52:05 GMT
The problem resolved by HADOOP-5191 involves client connection to the name
node and has nothing to do with connections between the master and slave.

In my configuration I use IP addresses exclusively.  Mixing hostnames and IP
addresses leads to all kinds of problems.

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Nelson, William [mailto:wnels2@email.uky.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 12:26 PM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: IP address or host name

I'm new to hadoop.
I'm running 0.19.2 on a Centos 5.2  cluster.
I have been having problems with the nodes connecting to the master (even
when the firewall is off) using the hostname  in the hadoop-site.xml but it
will connect using the IP address.
 This is also true trying to connect to port 9000 with telnet. If I start
hadoop with hostnames in the hadoop-site.xml, I get  Connection refused.
When I use IP addresses in the hadoop-site.xml I can connect with telnet
using either the IP address or hostname.
The datanode running on the master node can connect with either IP address
or hostname in the hadoop-site.xml.
I have found this problem posted a couple of time but have not found the
answer yet.

Datanodes on slaves can't connect but the datanode on master can connect.
<property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://master.com:9000</value>
 </property>

Everybody can connect.
<property>
    <name>fs.default.name</name>
    <value>hdfs://192.68.42.221:9000</value>
 </property>

Unfortunately  using IP addresses creates another problem when I try to run
the job: Wrong FS exception

but it appears the work around is to switch back to host names, which I
can't get to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill