From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Running parallel jobs having the same output directory
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:02:45 GMT
There's likely another gotcha regarding the fact that various logs and job
config files are written to the _logs directory under the output directory.
You'd need to uniquify that as well. There may be other traps, but I don't
know them :)

This might be a bit of a frustrating endeavour since you're trying to
override behaviour that's been baked in to Hadoop for a while. Why in
particular do you need all your jobs to emit to a common directory? You
could probably save yourself some headache by writing to subdirectories of a
common dir.

e.g., rather than having jobs 0..n write to /user/foo/commonoutput, just
write to /user/foo/outputs/0, /user/foo/outputs/1, etc..

If you need to collect the various outputs together to use in a subsequent
MR job, you can use FileInputFormat.addInputPath() multiple times on the
various directories. Or you could modify other downstream logic of yours to
either recursively descend a level into a hierarchy, or use
FileSystem.rename() to move the files from the different directories into a
single aggregate directory after all the jobs have succeeded.

- Aaron