From Iman E <hadoop_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: starting a tasktracker on a specific node in the cluster
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 01:33:54 GMT
The method I described below  is now working! The jobtracker takes sometime to update its list
of available task trackers (I think it is the timeout of a tasktracker)

________________________________
From: Iman E <hadoop_ami@yahoo.com>
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, July 2, 2009 4:18:10 PM
Subject: starting a tasktracker on a specific node in the cluster

Hi all,
I want to start and stop tasktrackers one at a time without using the start-mapred script
which also starts the jobtracker. I have tried to do "$HADOOP_CORE_HOME"/bin/hadoop-daemons.sh
--config $HADOOP_CONF_DIR --script "$bin"/mapred start tasktracker
but the tasktracker starts on the same node as the jobtracker which is not exactly what I
want. I expected it to get information about where to start the task tracker from the slaves
file. I have also tried to run this on the node where I want the tasktracker to start but
it did not work either.
Any pointers how to get this running?
Thanks
Iman