From Sugandha Naolekar <sugandha....@gmail.com>
Subject Few Queries..!!!
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2009 05:49:32 GMT

I have a 7 node hadoop cluster!

As of now, I am able to transfer(dump) the data in HDFS from a remote
node(not a part of hadoop cluster). And through web UI, I am able to
download the same.

-> but, If I need to restrict that web UI to few users only, what am I
supposed to do?

-> Also, if I need to do some kind of search, i.e; whether a particular file
or folder is available or not in HDFS..??? Will I be able to do it simply,
by writing a code using hadoop Filesystem api's.? Will it be fast and
efficient in case of data extending to huge amount?

-> Also, after above tasks, I want to implement compression algorithms. The
data that is getting placed in HDFS, shold be placed in a compressed format.
Will I have to use hadoop api's only, or some map-reudce techniques? In
those complete episode, Map-reduce is necessary? If yes, where??