From Amogh Vasekar <am...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: best way to set memory
Date Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:25:39 GMT
I haven't played a lot with it, but you may want to check if setting HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS,
HADOOP_TASKTRACKER_OPTS help. Let me know if you find a way to do this :)

Cheers!
Amogh

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Padilla [mailto:fern@alum.mit.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:47 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: best way to set memory

I was thinking not for M/R, but for the actual daemons:

When I go and start up a daemon (like below).  They all use the same
hadoop-env.sh.  Which allows you to only set the HADOOP_HEAPSIZE once..
not differently for each daemon-type..

bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start namenode
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start secondarynamenode
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start jobtracker
bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker