From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trying to connect to remote hdfs through java
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 15:41:58 GMT
Ian Nowland wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to set up a service to connect to hdfs on a remote server running Hbase and
hadoop. However, I'm running into some connection problems.
> our hadoop-site.xml defines fs.default.name as hdfs://localhost:54310, and indeed sshing
into the server and running a hadoop dfs -ls against that address lists the contents of the
hadoop file system. However, a netstat -lptu also shows
> tcp6       0      0 localhost:54310         [::]:*                  LISTEN      17252/java,
> which tells me that the service is only listening to connections from localhost. How
do I enable this service to listen to connections from anywhere?

1. Hadoop shouldn't be using IPv6 at all; start the JVM with

2. your fs.default.name should be the hostname of the machine "namenode1"

3. you should make sure that /etc/hosts on that machine doesn't point
the hostname back to localhost. Ubuntu has started to do this, which may
eliminated support calls related to laptops and badly configured DNS
servers, but causes problems on hadoop.

4. the test is try to telnet to the port remotely, via "telnet namenode
1 54310", if you can connect, then your NN may be up.

View raw message