From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions on Hadoop On Demand (HOD)
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:31:41 GMT
Boyu Zhang wrote:
> Dear all,

> Is there any other virtual machines that I can use to provide a Hadoop
> cluster over a physical cluster?

1. You can bring up Hadoop under VMWare, VirtualBox, Xen. There are
problems with Centos5.x/RHEL5 under VirtualBox (some clock issue
generates 100% load even when idle) so I would avoid that combination.

2. Virtual IO performance is pretty bad on all of them. CPU performance
is normally OK, but file IO is much slower. That may or may not matter.

3. Torque provides the scheduling, you can substitute other things there

View raw message