From Pallavi Palleti <pallavi.pall...@corp.aol.com>
Subject Re: Remote access to cluster using user as hadoop
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:15:02 GMT
Hi all,

I tried to trackdown to the place where I can add some conditions for not allowing any remote
user with username as hadoop(root user) (other than some specific hostnames or ipaddresses).
I could see the call path as FsShell -> DistributedFileSystem ->DFSClient - ClientProtocol.
As there is no way to debug the code via eclipse (when I ran thru eclipse it points to LocalFileSystem),
I followed naive way of debugging by adding print commands. After DFSClient, I couldn't figure
out which Class is getting called. From the code, I could see only NameNode extended ClientProtocol,
so I was pretty sure that NameNode methods are getting called, but I coudln't see my debug
print statements in the logs when I added some print statements in the namenode. Can some
one help me what is the flow when a call from Remote machine with same root user name(hadoop)
is made?

I tried for mkdir command which essentially calls mkdirs() method in DFSClient and there by
ClientProtocol mkdirs() method.

Thanks
Pallavi
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunning@gmail.com>
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 6:22:12 AM GMT +05:30 Chennai, Kolkata, Mumbai, New Delhi
Subject: Re: Remote access to cluster using user as hadoop

Interesting approach.

My guess is that this would indeed protect the datanodes from accidental
"attack" by stopping access before they are involved.

You might also consider just changing the name of the magic hadoop user to
something that is more unlikely.  The name "hadoop" is not far off what
somebody might come up with as a user name for experimenting or running
scheduled jobs.

--
Ted Dunning, CTO
DeepDyve