From Matt Massie <m...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Error in Cluster Startup: NameNode is not formatted
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2009 20:31:07 GMT
Boyu-

You didn't do anything stupid.  I've forgotten to format a NameNode
too myself.

If you check the QuickStart guide at http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/quickstart.html

  you'll see that formatting the NameNode is the first of the
Execution section (near the bottom of the page).

The command to format the NameNode is:

hadoop namenode -format

A warning though, you should only format your NameNode once.  Just
like formatting any filesystem, you can loss data if you (re)format.

Good luck.

-Matt