From stephen mulcahy <stephen.mulc...@deri.org>
Subject Re: Permissions needed to run RandomWriter ?
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:19:59 GMT
Hi,

I think I've figured this out. It may be obvious to others, but the user
I was trying to run the sort as didn't have write access to the
hadoop.tmp.dir

I did the following

sudo adduser smulcahy hadoop
sudo chmod -R g+w /data1/hadoop-tmp/

and it seems to have started successfully now.

 From a configuration perspective, should dfs.permissions.supergroup
default to 'hadoop' rather than supergroup? And should hadoop-tmp be
created with default group-write access? Or is the hadoop group intended
for other purposes (are there reasons why you might not want normal
hadoop users being members of this group)?

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland