From stephen mulcahy <stephen.mulc...@deri.org>
Subject Re: maybe a bug in hadoop?
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:29:03 GMT
Tim Wintle wrote:
> I thought I'd double check...
>
> $touch \ file\ with\ leading\ space
> $touch file\ without\ leading\ space
> $ ls
>  file with leading space
> file without leading space

Oh sure, Linux will certainly allow you to create files/dirs with such
names (and better .. hows about

touch \.\.\.

or similar (which used to be a favourite of guys who had managed to
exploit bad permissions on ftp sites to upload material of dubious
copyright). But is that the intention in the Hadoop config or is it a
usability oversight? Hence my mail here rather than raising a bug
immediately.

> ... so stripping it out could mean you couldn't enter some valid
> directory names (but who has folders starting with a space?)

Well ... I do now ;)

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland