From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple NIC Cards
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2009 15:59:48 GMT
John Martyniak wrote:
> When I run either of those on either of the two machines, it is trying
> to resolve against the DNS servers configured for the external addresses
> for the box.
>
> Here is the result
> Server:        xxx.xxx.xxx.69
> Address:    xxx.xxx.xxx.69#53

OK. in an ideal world, each NIC has a different hostname. Now, that
confuses code that assumes a host has exactly one hostname, not zero or
two, and I'm not sure how well Hadoop handles the 2+ situation (I know
it doesn't like 0, but hey, its a distributed application). With
separate hostnames, you set hadoop up to work on the inner addresses,
and give out the inner hostnames of the jobtracker and namenode. As a
result, all traffic to the master nodes should be routed on the internal
network