From Leon Mergen <l.p.mer...@solatis.com>
Subject Practical limit on emitted map/reduce values
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:23:51 GMT
Hello,

I wasn't able to find this anywhere, so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I am wondering whether there is a practical limit of the amount of bytes that an emitted Map/Reduce
value can be. Other than the obvious drawbacks of emitting huge values such as performance
issues, I would like to know whether there are any hard constraints; I can imagine that a
value can never be larger than the dfs.block.size .

Does anyone have any idea, or can provide me with some pointers where to look ?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Leon Mergen