From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: PIG and Hive
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 18:08:07 GMT
The work was done 3 months ago, and the exact query I used may not have been the below - it
was functionally the same - two sources,  arithmetic aggregation on each inner-joined by a
small set of values.  We wrote a hand-coded map reduce, a Pig script, and Hive against the
same data and performance tested.

At that time, even "SELECT count(a.z) FROM a group by a.z" took 3 phases (not sure how many
were fetch versus M/R).  Since then, we abandoned Hive for reassessment at a later date.
All releases of Hive since then http://hadoop.apache.org/hive/docs/r0.3.0/changes.html don't
have anything under "optimizations" and few of the enhancements listed suggest that there
has been much change on the performance front (yet).

Can Hive not yet detect an implicit inner join in a WHERE clause?

Our use case would have less optimization-savvy people querying data ad-hoc, so being able
to detect implicit joins and collapse subselects, etc is a requirement.  I'm not going to
go sitting over the shoulder of everyone who wants to do some ad-hoc data analysis and tell
them how to re-write their queries to perform better.
That is a big weakness of SQL that affects everything that uses it - there are so many equivalent
or near-equivalent forms of expression that often lead to implementation specific performance
preferences.

I'm sure Hive will get over that hump but it takes time.  I'm certainly interested in it and
will have a deeper look again in the second half of this year.