From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: How to replace the storage on a datanode without formatting the namenode?
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 18:35:52 GMT

Along these lines, even simpler approach I would think is :

1) set data.dir to local and create the data.
2) stop the datanode
3) rsync local_dir network_dir
4) start datanode with data.dir with network_dir

There is no need to format or rebalnace.

This way you can switch between local and network multiple times
(without needing to rsync data, if there are no changes made in the tests)

Alexandra Alecu wrote:
> Another possibility I am thinking about now, which is suitable for me as I do
> not actually have much data stored in the cluster when I want to perform
> this switch is to set the replication level really high and then simply
> remove the local storage locations and restart the cluster. With a bit of
> luck the high level of replication will allow a full recovery of the cluster
> on restart.
> Is this something that you would advice?
> Many thanks,
> Alexandra.

View raw message