From Pallavi Palleti <pallavi.pall...@corp.aol.com>
Subject HDFS is not responding after restart
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 08:34:58 GMT
Hi all,

  We have a cluster of 50 machines and we had to restart hadoop for some reason. When we restart,
the jobtracker is up. I can see the ui showing everything perfectly fine. But the dfs ui is
stuck. When I look into namenode logs, it says, it reached 0.990, safe mode would be turned
off in 0 secs . But, even after waiting for 2 hours, I couldn't see it turned off. Looking
into datanode logs, every datanode is verifying data blocks and reporting bad blocks to namenode.
In most of the machines, verification is successful. But, it is still processing some blocks.
The question is, any idea how long do we need to wait for this to be up? Also, hadoop dfs
-report is also not responding. Any idea, what would be the issue? Will it be ok, if I forcibly
switch off safemode?

Thanks in Advance,
Pallavi