From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Error reading task output
Date Fri, 17 Apr 2009 04:24:40 GMT
Cam,

This isn't Hadoop-specific, it's how Linux treats its network configuration.
If you look at /etc/host.conf, you'll probably see a line that says "order
hosts, bind" -- this is telling Linux's DNS resolution library to first read
your /etc/hosts file, then check an external DNS server.

You could probably disable local hostfile checking, but that means that
every time a program on your system queries the authoritative hostname for
"localhost", it'll go out to the network. You'll probably see a big
performance hit. The better solution, I think, is to get your nodes'
/etc/hosts files squared away. You only need to do so once :)

-- Aaron