From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Map-Reduce Slow Down
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 22:13:25 GMT
Virtually none of the examples that ship with Hadoop are designed to
showcase its speed. Hadoop's speedup comes from its ability to process very
large volumes of data (starting around, say, tens of GB per job, and going
up in orders of magnitude from there). So if you are timing the pi
calculator (or something like that), its results won't necessarily be very
consistent. If a job doesn't have enough fragments of data to allocate one
per each node, some of the nodes will also just go unused.

The best example for you to run is to use randomwriter to fill up your
cluster with several GB of random data and then run the sort program. If
that doesn't scale up performance from 3 nodes to 15, then you've definitely
got something strange going on.

- Aaron