From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Running MapReduce without setJar
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:51:00 GMT
All the nodes in your Hadoop cluster need access to the class files for your
MapReduce job. The current mechanism that Hadoop has to distribute classes
and attach them to the classpath assumes they're in a JAR together. Thus,
merely specifying the names of mapper/reducer classes with setMapperClass(),
etc, isn't enough -- you need to actually deliver a jar containing those
classes to all your nodes. Since the mapper and reducer classes are separate
classes, you'd need to bundle those .class files together somehow. JAR is
the standard way to do this, so that's what Hadoop supports.

If you're running in fully-local mode (e.g., with
jobConf.set("mapred.job.tracker", "local")), then no jar is needed since
it's all running inside the original process space.

- Aaron