From "Adam Retter" <Adam.Ret...@landmark.co.uk>
Subject Appropriate for Hadoop?
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 10:05:54 GMT

If I understand correctly - Hadoop forms a general purpose cluster on
which you can execute jobs?

We have a Java data processing application here that follows the
Producer -> Consumer pattern. It has been written with threading as a
concern from the start using java.util.concurrent.Callable.

At present the producer is a thread that retrieves a list of document
URI's from a SQL query against databaseA and adds them to a shared
(synchronised) queue.

Each consumer is a thread, of which there can be n, but we typically run
with 16 on the current hardware.
The consumer sits in a loop, processing the queue until it is empty. It
removes a document URI from the shared queue, retrieves the document and
performs a pipeline of transformations on the document, resulting in a
series of 600 to 16000 SQL insert statements which are then executed
against databaseB.

I have been reading about both Terracotta and Hadoop. Hadoop appears the
more general purpose solution that we could use for many applications,
however I am not sure how our application would map onto Hadoop
concepts. I have been studying the Map/Reduce Hadoop approach but our
application does not produce any intermediate files that would be the
input/output to the Map/Reduce processes.

Any guidance would be appreciated, it may well be that our application
is not an appropriate use of Hadoop?

Thanks Adam.

Adam Retter
Software Developer
Landmark Information Group

T: 01392 685403 (x5403)

5-7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton,
Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HY

www.landmark.co.uk

Registered Office: 7 Abbey Court, Eagle Way, Sowton, Exeter, Devon, EX2 7HY
Registered Number 2892803 Registered in England and Wales

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be subject to
legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, copy,
distribute or disclose the e-mail or any part of its contents or take any
action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
e-mail the sender by replying to this message. All reasonable precautions have
been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail. Landmark Information
Group Limited cannot accept responsibility for loss or damage arising from the
use of this e-mail or attachments and recommend that you subject these to
your virus checking procedures prior to use.