From Jim Twensky <jim.twen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: getting DiskErrorException during map
Date Mon, 13 Apr 2009 18:25:02 GMT
Thank you Alex, you are right. There are quotas on the systems that I'm
working. However, I tried to change mapred.local.dir as follows:

--inside hadoop-site.xml:

    <property>
        <name>mapred.child.tmp</name>
        <value>/scratch/local/jim</value>
    </property>
    <property>
        <name>hadoop.tmp.dir</name>
        <value>/scratch/local/jim</value>
    </property>
    <property>
        <name>mapred.local.dir</name>
        <value>/scratch/local/jim</value>
    </property>

  and observed that the intermediate map outputs are still being written
under /tmp/hadoop-jim/mapred/local

I'm confused at this point since I also tried setting these values directly
inside the hadoop-default.xml and that didn't work either. Is there any
other property that I'm supposed to change? I tried searching for "/tmp" in
the hadoop-default.xml file but couldn't find anything else.

Thanks,
Jim