From Alex Loddengaard <a...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How to access data node without a passphrase?
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:24:58 GMT
I would recommend installing the Hadoop RPMs and avoid the start-all scripts
all together.  The RPMs ship with init scripts, allowing you to start and
stop daemons with /sbin/service (or with a configuration management tool,
which I assume you'll be using as your cluster grows).  Here's more info on
the RPMs:

<http://www.cloudera.com/hadoop>

The start-all scripts are easy ways for small clusters to get started /
stopped, but they're more annoying as your cluster grows (you have to
distribute authorized_keys files, iteratively start each daemon, etc).  If
you want to stick with the tarball, you can use bin/hadoop-daemon.sh on each
node as well, though the only thing this buys you is being able to avoid
shipping your public key around for the "hadoop" user:

bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start datanode
> bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start tasktracker
> bin/hadoop-daemon.sh start etc

Hope this helps.