From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Amazon Elastic MapReduce
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 12:50:37 GMT

On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:13 AM, zhang jianfeng wrote:

> seems like I should pay for additional money, so why not configure a
> hadoop
> cluster in EC2 by myself. This already have been automatic using
> script.

Not everyone has a support team or an operations team or enough time
to learn how to do it themselves.  You're basically paying for the
fact that the only thing you need to know to use Hadoop is:
1) Be able to write the Java classes.
2) Press the "go" button on a webpage somewhere.

You could use Hadoop with little-to-zero systems knowledge (and
without institutional support), which would always make some
researchers happy.

Brian