From Usman Waheed <usm...@opera.com>
Subject Re: Can i make a node just an HDFS client to put/get data into hadoop
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 12:01:58 GMT
Thanks Steve,
We just conducted a quick test by taking a node which has the same
version of hadoop as the namenode and datanodes and we changed the
fs.dfs.name on this node to point to the master on port 9000. We did a
put/get and it worked.
It worked. All our machines (potential clients we can use) are on same
the LAN.
This will give us the ability to put a multitude of files into HDFS quickly.
> Usman Waheed wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> Is it possible to make a node just a hadoop client so that it can
>> put/get files into HDFS but not act as a namenode or datanode?
>> I already have a master node and 3 datanodes but need to execute
>> puts/gets into hadoop in parallel using more than just one machine
>> other than the master.
> Anything on the LAN can be a client of the filesystem, you just need
> appropriate hadoop configuration files to talk to the namenode and job
> tracker. I don't know how well the (custom) IPC works over long
> distances, and you have to keep the versions in sync for everything to
> work reliably.

View raw message