From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Error reading task output
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:35:09 GMT
Cam Macdonell wrote:

> Well, for future googlers, I'll answer my own post.  Watch our for the
> hostname at the end of "localhost" lines on slaves.  One of my slaves
> was registering itself as "localhost.localdomain" with the jobtracker.
>
> Is there a way that Hadoop could be made to not be so dependent on
> /etc/hosts, but on more dynamic hostname resolution?

DNS is trouble in Java; there are some (outstanding) bugreps/hadoop
patches on the topic, mostly showing up on a machine of mine with a bad
hosts entry. I also encountered some fun last month with ubuntu linux
adding the local hostname to /etc/hosts along the 127.0.0.1 entry, which
is precisely what you dont want for a cluster of vms with no DNS at all.
This sounds like your problem too, in which case I have shared your pain

http://www.1060.org/blogxter/entry?publicid=121ED68BB21DB8C060FE88607222EB52