From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPM spec file for 0.19.1
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 10:37:50 GMT
Ian Soboroff wrote:
> Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> writes:
>
>> I think from your perpective it makes sense as it stops anyone getting
>> itchy fingers and doing their own RPMs.
>
> Um, what's wrong with that?

It's reallly hard to do good RPM spec files. If cloudera are willing to
pay Matt to do it, not only do I welcome it, but will see if I can help
him with some of the automated test setup they'll need.

One thing which would be useful would be to package up all of the hadoop
functional tests that need a live cluster up as its own JAR, so the test
suite could be run against an RPM installation on different Virtual
OS/JVM combos. I've just hit this problem with my own RPMs on Java6
(java security related), so know that having the ability to use the
entire existing test suite against an RPM installation would be be
beneficial (both in my case and for hadoop RPMS)