From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RPM spec file for 0.19.1
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 10:14:39 GMT
Christophe Bisciglia wrote:
> Hey Ian, we are totally fine with this - the only reason we didn't
> contribute the SPEC file is that it is the output of our internal
> build system, and we don't have the bandwidth to properly maintain
> multiple RPMs.
>
> That said, we chatted about this a bit today, and were wondering if
> the community would like us to host RPMs for all releases in our
> "devel" repository. We can't stand behind these from a reliability
> angle the same way we can with our "blessed" RPMs, but it's a
> manageable amount of additional work to have our build system spit
> those out as well.

I think from your perpective it makes sense as it stops anyone getting
itchy fingers and doing their own RPMs. At the same time, I think we do
need to make it possible/easy to do RPMs *and have them consistent*. If
hadoop-core makes RPMs that don't work with your settings rpms, you get
to field to the support calls.

-steve