From tim robertson <timrobertson...@gmail.com>
Subject Hardware - please sanity check?
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 14:02:27 GMT
Hi all,

I am not a hardware guy but about to set up a 10 node cluster for some
processing of (mostly) tab files, generating various indexes and
researching HBase, Mahout, pig, hive etc.

Could someone please sanity check that these specs look sensible?
[I know 4 drives would be better but price is a factor (second hand
not an option, hosting is not either as there is very good bandwidth
provided)]

Something along the lines of:

Dell R200 (8GB is max memory)
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3360, 2.83GHz, 2x6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB
8GB Memory, DDR2, 800MHz (4x2GB Dual Ranked DIMMs)
2x 500GB 7.200 rpm 3.5-inch SATA Hard Drive

Dell R300 (can be expanded to 24GB RAM)
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X3363, 2.83GHz, 2x6M Cache, 1333MHz FS
8GB Memory, DDR2, 667MHz (2x4GB Dual Ranked DIMMs)
2x 500GB 7.200 rpm 3.5-inch SATA Hard Drive

If there is a major flaw please can you let me know.

Thanks,

Tim
(not a hardware guy ;o)