From Tim Wintle <tim.win...@teamrubber.com>
Subject Re: Amazon Elastic MapReduce
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:32:51 GMT
On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 11:19 +0100, Steve Loughran wrote:
> True, but this way nobody gets the opportunity to learn how to do it
> themselves, which can be a tactical error one comes to regret further
> down the line. By learning the pain of cluster management today, you get
> to keep it under control as your data grows.

Personally I don't want to have to learn (and especially not support in
production) the EC2 / S3 part, so it does sound appealing.

On a side note, I'd hope that at some point they give some control over
the priority of the overall job - on the level of "you can boot up these
machines whenever you want", or "boot up these machines now" - that
should let them manage the load on their hardware and reduce costs
(which I'd obviously expect them to pass on the users of low-priority
jobs). I'm not sure how that would fit into the "give me 10 nodes"
method at the moment.

> I am curious what bug patches AWS will supply, for they have been very
> silent on their hadoop work to date.

I'm hoping it will involve security of EC2 images, but not expectant.