From "Billy Pearson" <sa...@pearsonwholesale.com>
Subject Re: hdfs-doubt
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2009 07:28:01 GMT
Your client doesn't have to be on the  namenode it can be on any system that
can access the namenode and the datanodes.
Hadoop uses 64MB block to store files so file sizes >= 64mb should be as
efficient as 128MB or 1GB file sizes.

more reading and information here:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopPresentations
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopArticles