From Carlos Valiente <superdup...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Monitoring with Ganglia
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:08:00 GMT
On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:56, Tamir Kamara <tamirkamara@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know too much about multicast... and I'm using the default gmond
> conf file.

The default multicast address seems to be 239.2.11.71, so that's the
one for your hadoop-metrics.properties.

> Wouldn't using the multicast address mean I'll need to specify a different
> address for each node so that the data won't get to all nodes running gmond

I'm not an expert, either --- I'm using the same multicast address on
all nodes in my cluster. On each node, tcpdump shows incoming Ganglia
traffic from every other node to the multicast address. It's usually a
burst of about  200 UDP packets every 4 seconds or so (for a 6-node
cluster), so the traffic overhead should be negligible.