From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Using HDFS to serve www requests
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 16:44:25 GMT
In general, Hadoop is unsuitable for the application you're suggesting.
Systems like Fuse HDFS do exist, though they're not widely used. I don't
know of anyone trying to connect Hadoop with Apache httpd.

When you say that you have huge images, how big is "huge?" It might be
useful if these images are 1 GB or larger. But in general, "huge" on Hadoop
means 10s of GBs up to TBs.  If you have a large number of moderately-sized
files, you'll find that HDFS responds very poorly for your needs.

It sounds like glusterfs is designed more for your needs.

- Aaron