From Aaron Kimball <aa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How to apply a patch to my hadoop?
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 03:11:48 GMT
Steve,

The patch applies to the source files. The "ant clean jar" command then
recompiles the system from its source. You'll need to restart the daemons
after recompiling for this to take effect.

That having been said, HADOOP-1700 is a notoriously huge patch that touches
a very large spread of the HDFS code. It will assuredly fail to apply
cleanly to the Hadoop 0.17.0 source code; you'll need to merge any
collisions in by hand, and there will be an awful lot of them. You'll
probably have better luck by just upgrading to Hadoop 0.19.0, where
HADOOP-1700 was enabled. (It has since been disabled in 0.19.1, because it
can cause data loss; so you shouldn't use this on a production cluster.)

Good luck with whatever route you go with.
Cheers,
- Aaron