From Tamir Kamara <tamirkam...@gmail.com>
Subject Monitoring with Ganglia
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:48:41 GMT

For a few days I'm trying to make hadoop work with the Ganglia monitoring
I'm using hadoop 0.18.3 with ganglia 3.0.6, I've changed the hadoop-metrics
file as described in the wiki and also used HADOOP-3422 patch.Now, I can
only see system metrics in the ganglia data and nothing about hadoop itself.

I also tried to add a collection group to gmond.conf for metric
mapred.tasktracker.mapTaskSlots, but that caused gmond to stop working
because it couldn't "collect the metric on the platform" which means that it
doesn't recognize the metric.
It should be possible to do this like in http://rcf.unl.edu/ganglia/?c=red.

There're some posts of this issue but I couldn't find any answer or detailed
description of how to monitor hadoop with ganglia.

Does anyone have any experience with this ?