From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: DataNode stops cleaning disk?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:06:03 GMT
Igor Bolotin wrote:
> That's what I saw just yesterday on one of the data nodes with this
> situation (will confirm also next time it happens):
> - Tmp and current were either empty or almost empty last time I checked.
> - du on the entire data directory matched exactly with reported used
> space in NameNode web UI and it did report that it uses some most of the
> available disk space.
> - nothing else was using disk space (actually - it's dedicated DFS
> cluster).

If 'du' command (you can run in the shell) counts properly then you
should be able to see which files are taking space.

If 'du' can't but 'df' reports very less space available, then it is
possible (though never seen) that datanode is keeping a a lot these
files open.. 'ls -l /proc/datanodepid/fd' lists these files. If it is
not datanode, then check lsof to find who is holding these files.

hope this helps.
Raghu.