From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Re: Need Help hdfs -How to minimize access Time
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 08:25:54 GMT
Hey Snehal (removing the core-dev list; please only post to one at a
time),

The access time should be fine, but it depends on what you define as
an acceptable access time.  If this is not acceptable, I'd suggest
putting it behind a web cache like Squid.  The best way to find out is
to use the system as a prototype and to evaluate it based on your
requirements.

Hadoop is useful for small data, but optimized and originally designed
only for big data.  The primary downfall of the small files is that it
may cost more per file in terms of memory.  Hadoop as a solution may
be overkill, however, if your total storage size is never going to
grow very large.

We currently use HDFS for mostly random access.

Brian