From sree deepya <mdee...@gmail.com>
Subject hdfs-doubt
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:55:35 GMT
Hi sir/madam,

I am SreeDeepya,doing Mtech in IIIT.I am working on a project named cost
effective and scalable storage server.Our main goal of the project is to be
able to store images in a server and the data can be upto petabytes.For that
we are using HDFS.I am new to hadoop and am just learning about it.
    Can you please clarify some of the doubts I have.

At present we configured one datanode and one namenode.Jobtracker is running
on namenode and tasktracker on datanode.Now namenode also acts as
client.Like we are writing programs in the namenode to store or retrieve
images.My doubts are

1.Can we put the client and namenode in two separate systems?

2.Can we access the images from the datanode of hadoop cluster from a
machine in which hdfs is not there?

3.At present we may not have data upto petabytes but will be in gigabytes.Is
hadoop still efficient in storing mega and giga bytes of data????

Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,