From Sid123 <itis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Iterative feedback in map reduce....
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 23:39:19 GMT

Thanks for the help Peter... Looks like the mapper is writing out to a common
key and adding all the values to the HDFS The mapper(s) will just serialize
over one another to write to the disc... I will be making the code for this
tonight... So can you answer a tech question... Since all the values are
being grouped under a common key how many reduce processes do you think will
be spawned? i am thinking 1 which is bad....
But I was thinking of grouping the values and generating a key using a
random number generator in the collector of the mapper. The values will now
be uniformly distributed over a few keys. Say the number of keys will be
0.1% of the # of values or atleast 1, which ever is higher. So if there
20000 values 2000 odd values should be under a single key.. and 10 reducers
should spawn to do the sum in parallel...  Now I can atleast run 10 sum in
parallel rather than just 1 reducer doing the whole work... How does that
theory seem?