From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop JMX
Date Fri, 20 Feb 2009 20:57:52 GMT
I am working to graph the hadoop JMX variables.
http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/r0.17.0/api/org/apache/hadoop/dfs/namenode/metrics/NameNodeStatistics.html
I have a two nodes, one running 0.17 and the other running.0.19

The NameNode JMX objects and attributes seem to be working well. I am
graphing Capacity, NumberOfBlocks, NumberOfFiles, as well as the
operations numLiveDataNodes() numDeadDataNodes()

It seems like the DataNode JMX objects are mostly 0 or -1. I do not
have heavy load on these systems so telling if the counter is
implemented is tricky.

My questions:
1) If a JMX attribute is added, is it generally added as a placeholder
to be implemented later or is it added implemented?
2) Is there a target version to have all these attributes implemented,
or are these all being handled via separate Jira?
3) Can I set TaskTrackers to be monitored as I can for DataNodes, NameNodes?
4) Tips tricks gotcha?

Thank you