From Scott Whitecross <sc...@dataxu.com>
Subject java.io.IOException: Could not get block locations. Aborting...
Date Mon, 09 Feb 2009 21:01:10 GMT
Hi all -

I've been running into this error the past few days:
java.io.IOException: Could not get block locations. Aborting...
	at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient
$DFSOutputStream.processDatanodeError(DFSClient.java:2143)
	at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream.access
$1400(DFSClient.java:1735)
	at org.apache.hadoop.dfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream
$DataStreamer.run(DFSClient.java:1889)

It seems to be related to trying to write to many files to HDFS.  I
have a class extending
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.lib.MultipleOutputFormat and if I output to a
few file names, everything works.  However, if I output to thousands
of small files, the above error occurs.  I'm having trouble isolating
the problem, as the problem doesn't occur in the debugger unfortunately.

Is this a memory issue, or is there an upper limit to the number of
files HDFS can hold?  Any settings to adjust?

Thanks.