From Gordon Mohr <goj...@archive.org>
Subject Re: OutOfMemory error processing large amounts of gz files
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:40:29 GMT
If you're doing a lot of gzip compression/decompression, you *might* be
hitting this 6+-year-old Sun JVM bug:

"Instantiating Inflater/Deflater causes OutOfMemoryError; finalizers not
called promptly enough"

A workaround is listed in the issue: ensuring you call close() or end()
on the Deflater; something similar might apply to Inflater.

(This is one of those fun JVM situations where having more heap space
may make OOMEs more likely: less heap memory pressure leaves more un-GCd
or un-finalized heap objects around, each of which is holding a bit of
native memory.)

- Gordon @ IA