From bjday <bj...@cse.usf.edu>
Subject Hadoop setup questions
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:39:16 GMT
Good morning everyone,

I have a question about correct setup for hadoop.  I have 14 Dell
computers in a lab.   Each connected to the internet and each
independent of each other.  All run CentOS.  Logins are handled by NIS.
If userA logs into the master and starts the daemons and UserB logs into
the master and wants to run a job while the daemons from UserA are still
running the following error occurs:

copyFromLocal: org.apache.hadoop.security.AccessControlException:
Permission denied: user=UserB, access=WRITE,
inode="user":UserA:supergroup:rwxr-xr-x

 what needs to be changed to allow UserB-UserZ to run their jobs?  Does
there need to be a local user the everyone logs into as and run from
there?  Should Hadoop be ran in an actual cluster instead of independent
computers?  Any ideas what is the correct configuration settings that
allow it?

I followed Ravi Phulari suggestions and followed:

http://hadoop.apache.org/core/docs/current/quickstart.html
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Multi-Node_Cluster)
<http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Multi-Node_Cluster%29>
http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_(Single-Node_Cluster)
<http://www.michael-noll.com/wiki/Running_Hadoop_On_Ubuntu_Linux_%28Single-Node_Cluster%29>

These allowed me to get Hadoop running on the 14 computers when I login
and everything works fine, thank you Ravi.  The problem occurs when
additional people attempt to run jobs simultaneously.

Thank you,

Brian